Episode 3 – 5/28/2007
Guests: Matt Mickiewicz and Mark Harbottle, SitePoint.com co-founders
Background: developers and entrepreneurs
Total Time: 30 minutes
To say I was excited to speak to these two gentleman would be an understatement. I discovered SitePoint.com about 5 years ago while I was still in college, but finally joined 4 years ago. Since then I have been a pretty active member there and haven’t felt the need to join any other web development forums. The thing that really made me stay there was the community feel that exists. I’ve always been impressed at how strong the community is when they have over 150k members.
In this interview, Matt Mickiewicz and Mark Harbottle tell us how SitePoint.com started and how it grew from its grassroots to the thriving web community it is today. They really do demonstrate why the forum has retained such a community feel by showing that members come first.
- 1:20 – Matt explains how SitePoint got started
- 3:50 – How Matt and Mark came together
- 6:10 – Matt and Mark discuss the goals of SitePoint
- 7:30 – Sara asks how they manage their work when they are located oceans apart.
- 9:48 – Mark and Matt discuss the accusation that SitePoint is becoming too “commercial”
- 14:05 – Sara asks the guys to tell us what the plans are for the Marketplace
- 19:00 – Mark goes into details about the Contests section of SitePoint
- 23:02 – Sara gets personal with Matt and Mark… Do Corona and Robbie Williams go together?!?