Episode 13 – 12/17/2007
Guest: Garrett Camp, StumbleUpon Founder and Architect
Background: StumbleUpon Founder
Total Time: 35 minutes
I was really excited for this talk as I am a big SU user (see my profile) and think the service is really cool in general. Our chat reveals some interesting information for both web developers (think API) and webmasters (increased traffic opportunities). After plenty of begging on my part and because I let Garrett win a match of arm wrestling, he was gracious enough to join me for a conversation. The sound quality on Garrett’s end is not the best at times, but I cleaned it up the best I could. If there are any whiz audio editors who want to give a shot at making it better, let me know!
Have a listen and let me know what you think! What did you like and what didn’t you like?
- 00:22 – What makes SU so addictive?
- 1:39 – SU has been around for a while but it really took off in 2006. Why is that?
- 3:50 – SU can bring great traffic
- 5:19 – How much of SU’s success is due to the social networking?
- 7:09 – How does the thumbs down affect your site?
- 9:56 – Are you allowed to submit your own sites!!??
- 11:00 – You can Advertise on SU!
- 16:04 – Some SU Algorithm discussion
- 20:28 – What are some features that aren’t as well known that people SHOULD know about?
- 23:41 – Any SU API for site-specific stumbling?
- 26:01 – have there been any sites that you found and wished you had that idea?
- 27:45 – What are the future plans?
- 32:44 – A chance to get to know Garrett better.